Ninety-nine percent of the 2011-13 Capital Budget and 13 percent of the Operating Budget will be passed through to local governments and communities to do environmental work.
Ecology 2011-13 Biennium Budget: $1,210,734,774
This section provides an overview of Ecology’s 2011-2013 biennial budget — where the money comes from, how it will be used, and what we want to see happen as a result of our work. Ecology's 1550 employees work across the state to protect the environment, the health of our citizens, and create a sustainable economy.
Ninety-nine percent of the 2011-13 Capital Budget and 13 percent of the Operating Budget will be passed through to local governments and communities to do environmental work. This money is awarded as grants or loans for activities such as:
- Watershed planning
- Building water pollution control facilities
- Clean-up of publicly-owned contaminated sites
- Reducing toxic threats
- Supporting community awareness and involvement in hazardous waste management
- Pollution prevention
Capital Budget = $781,986,774
Other: Nuclear Waste 1.54%, Air Quality 1.51%, Administration .18%, Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction .07%
Operating Budget = $428,747,000
The Administration Program is funded by operating and capital budgets and is four percent of the total budget.
2011-2013 Budget by Program
Additional information can be found in the Budget and Program Overview book
Quantity of Services Provided
Ecology reports on its service performance quarterly to the Office of Financial Management (OFM) and this data is compiled in a report that is available on this OFM web page: 2011-13 Performance Progress Reports
Ecology's Report for the 2011-2013 Biennium is here: http://www.ofm.wa.gov/budget/manage/perfrept/1113/461pm.pdf
Ecology’s 2011-13 Operating Budgets Reduced to Address General Fund Shortfall
Ecology’s budget has been significantly impacted by the economic downturn that began in 2008. Since July 1, 2007, Ecology’s General Fund-State (GF-S) has been reduced by $35.6 million, or nearly 27 percent. During this same period, $255 million in dedicated environmental funds managed by the agency have been transferred directly to the GF-S fund for other state priorities.
Ecology’s 2011-13 operating budget totals $441 million, an overall two percent reduction of $9 million from the base 2009-11 budget level. The change includes increases and reductions to some environmental program activities, administrative reductions, and reductions to staff costs, such as a temporary three percent salary reduction, retirement rate adjustment, and the employer share of health insurance premiums.
Additional Funding for Environmental and Public Health Protection
Despite a very tight debt limit for new bond funds and shortfalls in the operating budget, significant new investments were made in environmental and public health protection work in Ecology’s 2011-2013 Capital Budget. Overall, Ecology will have an additional $564.7 million, including $15.1 million in new bond funding, to pass through to local governments and communities. Approximately 68 percent of Ecology’s 2011-13 operating and capital budgets are passed through to local communities to support local clean water, water supply solutions, toxic cleanup, hazardous waste management, and pollution prevention efforts. More than 91 percent of Ecology’s total budget goes to providing direct environmental program services. Of the remaining 9 percent, 5 percent is for environmental program support services (e.g. leases, vehicles, legal support) and 4 percent for administration.
Find more Ecology budget details at http://www.ecy.wa.gov/budget.html