NOTICE: Ecology's web applications will be unavailable Wednesday, Nov. 29 from 5:30 to 7:30pm, for scheduled maintenance.

Placeholder for snippet from air, land, water, toxics, waste, or other image

My Watershed

Which reports does my company need to submit?

Common Environmental Reports describes who needs
to complete what reports and when each one is due.
If you want to provide feedback on this poster, email

Who must report under the Toxics Release Inventory?

A plant, factory, business, or other facility must complete a Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) report if it meets all three of these criteria:

  1. It is a federal facility or is included in a covered industry category as determined by its North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code; and
  2. It has ten or more full-time employees (or the equivalent of 20,000 hours per year); and
  3. It manufactures, imports, processes, or otherwise uses any of the EPCRA section 313 chemicals in amounts greater than the threshold quantities of these chemicals.  More than 650 chemicals and chemical categories are covered.

If these criteria are met during a calendar year, the business must file a TRI report by July 1 of the following year. Reports must go to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and to either:

  • The state in which the facility is located.
  • The tribal government, if the facility is located on tribal land.

The TRI coordinator at Ecology receives reports for Washington State.

Does my Facility Need to Report?
Use EPA's screening tool to help determine if you need to complete an annual TRI report.