Program Template photo identifier

Air Quality Program

Agricultural Burn Permit Applications A photograph of smoke coming from a field blaze.

Ecology requires a permit for all types of agricultural burning. Fees for agricultural burn permits changed July 1, 2012. Find out about current fees.

Exceptions: No permit is required for the following agricultural burning:

  • Orchard prunings
  • Organic debris along fence lines or irrigation or drainage ditches
  • Organic debris blown by the wind

Learn about Alternatives to Burning.

Burn Zone Maps

To find out what zone you are in, click on a link below to view the map.

Get an Agricultural Burn Permit

Only complete applications will be processed. Incomplete applications will be denied.

Complete applications include:

  • completed permit application
  • map of the area to be burned
  • payment (fee)

For an agricultural burn permit for burning in Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Walla Walla, or Whitman Counties, send the application to your local permitting authority.

If you want to burn:
  • In Western Washington, or in Benton, Yakima, or Spokane Counties, contact your local clean air agency.
  • On an Indian reservation, contact your tribal government.
  • In all other counties, send your completed burn permit application to:

Washington State Department of Ecology
Cashiering Unit
P.O. Box 47611
Olympia, WA 98504-7611

Agricultural Burn Permit Applications

Other Resources


Applicants must use Best Management Practices to complete their application.

Best Management Practices (BMPs):

Agricultural burning is allowed when it is reasonably necessary to carry out the enterprise.  A farmer can show burning is reasonably necessary when it meets the criteria of the BMPs and no practical alternative exists.  BMPs are one of the ways to demonstrate the need to burn.  Growers not using BMPs must establish that their proposed burn is reasonably necessary and that no practical alternative is available. The burden of proof is on the grower. The demonstration must satisfy Ecology and the local delegated permitting authority (if there is one).

BMP Page Link

Related Agricultural Links

Contact us for these counties: Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman Counties

Contact us for these counties: Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, and Okanogan Counties

Contacts for other counties