FAQS and information center
Volkswagen federal settlement summary
Washington is eligible to receive $112.7 million from the Volkswagen federal Settlement. VW violated the Clean Air Act by manufacturing diesel vehicles with software installed that cheated emissions testing by only turning on when the vehicle was being tested. Nitrogen oxides contribute to the formation of harmful smog and soot. Exposure to these pollutants has been linked to a number of respiratory and cardiovascular health effects as well as premature death.
Washington must submit a mitigation plan to the trustee prior to requesting mitigation funds. The settlement agreement has specific requirements on how the money can be spent. Beneficiaries are also directed to choose projects that benefit communities that have been disproportionately affected by nitrogen oxides emissions.
Maps of registered vehicles and areas affected by nitrogen oxides emissions
The first map below identifies where the affected vehicles are registered in the state. Ecology estimates about 87% of the affected vehicles are registered in thirteen counties. The remaining 13% are dispersed throughout the remaining 26 counties. The second map includes estimated nitrogen oxides emissions from on-road vehicles (e.g. cars, trucks, semi-trucks, etc.), non-road vehicles/equipment (e.g. for construction, agriculture, airports, etc.), marine vessels and pleasure craft, fuel use by various industries, and railroad equipment.
We asked how you think the $112.7 million should be invested
Ecology held a survey that closed on May 31, 2017 to ask which categories outlined in the court consent decree are most important to you. The decree outlines specific ways the funds can be used. Below are the results of that survey, in order of importance.
Revised goals, principles, and priorities
The "revised" goals, principles, and priorities are now posted online based on feedback we received from your participation in our March 23, 2017 survey below.
View the Washington and Oregon joint ZEV investment proposal submitted to Electrify America.
Subscribe to our Volkswagen listserv
Ecology is dedicated to keeping you informed as the settlement progresses.
For questions about the settlement, please email us.
For more information, visit:Volkswagen partial Consent Decree
VW/Audi diesel emissions settlement program
VW Clean Air Act partial settlement
Notice of filing of trust agreements
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology|
Privacy Notice | Site Info | Accessibility | Contact the web team |