Program Template photo identifier

Air Quality Program

Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program


Certain large facilities and transportation fuel suppliers must report their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to Ecology. Owners or operators of the following are required to report:

  • Facilities that emit at least 10,000 metric tons of greenhouse gases per year in Washington; or
  • Suppliers of liquid motor vehicle fuel, special fuel, or aircraft fuel that provide products equivalent to at least 10,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide per year in Washington.

Mobile source fleets are not required to report their GHG emissions.

Preliminary Washington Greenhouse Gas Reporting Data for 2012 and 2013

Because of multiple inquiries, a summary of Washington's Greenhouse Gas Reporting program emissions data is available below. This data is preliminary and has not been fully verified by Ecology.

Rule Making

Through Winter 2015, Ecology proposes to amend this rule.

Registration and reporting deadlines

Reporting deadline
Starting with the 2013 emissions year:

  • Facilities required to report GHG emissions to both Ecology and EPA must submit their reports by March 31 of the following year.
  • Facilities that report only to Ecology must submit their reports by October 31 of the following year.
  • Transportation fuel suppliers must submit their reports by October 31 of the following year.

Registration deadline
To register, complete a Certificate of Representation registration form and mail it to Ecology at least 60 days before the deadline for submission of your initial emissions report. Instructions are on the form.


Facilities report GHG emissions based on EPA's GHG reporting program. Washington's Applicable emissions and calculation methodologies are identical to the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) with a few exceptions. The main difference is that Washington has a lower reporting threshold of 10,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) per calendar year. Washington's threshold also includes carbon dioxide emissions from biogenic sources, while EPA's does not.

More information: Greenhouse Gas Reporting: Facilities

Facilities reporting

More information: Facility Reporting training presentation

Transportation fuel suppliers

Transportation fuel suppliers report GHG emissions based on the information they already submit to the Washington Department of Licensing (DOL). The only organizations that must report are those with active fuel tax licenses that supply enough applicable fuels to meet or exceed 10,000 metric tons of CO2 per year.

More information: Greenhouse Gas Reporting: Transportation Fuel Suppliers

Emissions calculations

Calculate your emissions using the Transportation Fuel Supplier Emissions Calculation Tool (excel).


Submit a report signature form and mail it to Ecology. Instructions are on the form.

More information: Transportation Fuel Supplier training presentation

Reporting fee

There is an annual reporting fee. The fee is based on Ecology's costs to administer the program, and the number of facilities and suppliers reporting that year.

2014 Fee

2013 Fee

2012 Fee

Per Facility $1,147 $1,147 $1,175
Per Transportation Fuel Supplier $1,444 $1,444 $1,478
Link to document 2014 fee schedule (PDF file) 2013 fee schedule (PDF file) 2012 fee schedule (PDF file)


More information

Contact Neil Caudill ( at 360-407-6811.


Facility Reporting

Facility Reporting Protocols

Transportation Fuel Supplier Reporting

Greenhouse Gas Reporting Frequently Asked Questions

Chapter 173-441 WAC - Reporting of Emissions of Greenhouse Gases

EPA GHG Facility Reporting Data

EPA GHG Supplier Reporting Data

EPA GHG Reporting Program

Sign up for email announcements about GHG Reporting

Contact: Neil Caudill