Program Template photo identifier

Air Quality Program

New Source Review:
Notice of Construction (NOC) Permits


Businesses that are new, replacing or modifying emission control equipment, or are increasing their air pollutant emissions must undergo New Source Review (NSR). NSR requires businesses that emit air pollution in Ecology-regulated counties to get a permit called a "Notice of Construction (NOC) Order of Approval." An NOC limits the business's air pollutant emissions. It is also called a "pre-construction permit" because the business owner must get this permit before starting construction or operation of the business.


Who needs an NOC?

Most, but not all, businesses that are new, replacing or modifying emission control equipment, or are increasing their air pollutant emissions need a pre-construction permit. A business may be exempt from this permit requirement based on either its equipment or its emission levels. Businesses that are exempt based on equipment are listed in WAC 173-400-110(4). The exemption based on emission levels is described in WAC 173-400-110(5).

How to apply for an NOC

Use the table below to determine which agency issues NOC permits in your area.

Regulatory Agency



Ecology Central Regional Air Quality Office
(contact Lynnette Haller)
Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, and Okanogan Counties Yakima, WA
(509) 575-2490
Ecology Northwest Regional Office
(contact David Adler)
San Juan County Redmond, WA
(425) 649-7000
Ecology Eastern Regional Air Quality Office
(contact Jolaine Johnson)
Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman Counties Spokane, WA
(509) 329-3400
Ecology Industrial Section
(contact Garin Schrieve)
Statewide pulp and paper mills and aluminum smelters Olympia, WA
(360) 407-6916
Ecology Nuclear Waste Program
(contact Philip Gent)
Hanford Reservation Richland, WA
(509) 372-7950
Benton Clean Air Agency Benton County Kennewick, WA
(509) 783-1304
Northwest Clean Air Agency Island, Skagit, and Whatcom Counties Mt. Vernon, WA
(360) 428-1617
Olympic Region Clean Air Agency Clallam, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Mason, Pacific, and Thurston Counties Olympia, WA
(360) 586-1044
Puget Sound Clean Air Agency King, Kitsap, Pierce, and Snohomish Counties Seattle, WA
(206) 343-8800
Southwest Clean Air Agency Clark, Cowlitz, Lewis, Skamania and Wahkiakum Counties Vancouver, WA
(360) 574-3058
Spokane Regional Clean Air Agency Spokane County Spokane, WA
(509) 477-4727
Yakima Regional Clean Air Agency Yakima County Yakima, WA
(509) 834-2050
EPA Tribal lands and the outer continental shelf Seattle, WA
(206) 553-1783
Energy Facility Site Evaluation Council (EFSEC) Statewide major energy facilities Olympia, WA
(360) 956-2121


Which Ecology application form do I use?

  • Businesses that want to construct a new source of air pollution emissions or modify an existing source need to submit a Notice of Construction Application (ECY 070-410) to Ecology with the initial fee. Instructions for completing the application are available at the same link, listed as forms ECY 070-410 a - g.
  • Businesses that want to limit their potential to emit need to submit an application to Establish a Voluntary Emission Limit (ECY 070-416) to Ecology with the initial fee.

More information


Contact Us


New Source Review Fee Table

Notice of Construction Application: New Project or Modification of Existing Permit

Instructions for Ecology's Notice of Construction Application

Application to Establish Voluntary Emissions Limits

Governor's Office of Regulatory Assistance