Chapter 173-400 WAC - General Regulations for Air Pollution Sources
Chapter 173-423 WAC - Low Emission Vehicles
Chapter 173-476 WAC - Ambient Air Quality Standards
(updating EPA requirements and vehicle emission standards)
Overview of Rulemaking
On May 31, 2016, Ecology adopted
amendments to three rules
General Regulations for Air
Pollution Sources – Chapter 173-400 WAC
Low Emission Vehicles –
Chapter 173-423 WAC
Ambient Air Quality Standards
– Chapter 173-476 WAC
What is the purpose of the rule changes?
The purpose of the rule change is to adopt new requirements:
- General Regulations for Air Pollution Sources - include new federal rules and changes to federal rules
since the last time Ecology amended this chapter (2012)
- Low Emission Vehicles - include updates to
California motor vehicle emission standards
- Ambient Air Quality Standards - include the lower EPA ozone standard and associated monitoring
Why has Ecology made these changes?
Ecology changed the rule to:
- Continue or improve protection of human health
and the environment by establishing consistency with
federal rules and California motor vehicle emission
- Simplify compliance for regulated sources by
adding a single reference point for specifying the date
of the federal rules.
Correct spelling errors.