Chapter 173-455 WAC
Air Quality Fee Rule
Chapter 173-400 WAC
General Regulations for Air Pollution Sources
Overview of Rulemaking
Ecology is amending two rules:
- Chapter 173-455 WAC, Air Quality Fee Rule – includes most of the air quality related fees into one chapter. This chapter allows the regulated community easier access to applicable fees.
- Chapter 173-400 WAC, General Regulations for Air Pollution Sources – establishes the regulatory framework to ensure that healthy air quality exists in Washington, including meeting federal air quality standards.
Scope of rule development:
Ecology is proposing to amend Chapters 173-455 and 173-400 WAC to:
- Better align fees with costs of the air quality source registration program.
- Revise the fee process to create a fairer distribution of fees across all registered sources.
- Ensure alignment between Chapters 173-400 WAC and 173-455 WAC.
- Match hourly rate charge in WAC 173-455-050 and -130 with current Ecology billing rates.
- Identify, and where appropriate make, needed edits in Chapters 173-455 and 173-400 WAC to increase clarity and readability.
Why it matters:
- Existing registration program fees fund approximately 45 percent of the estimated cost of operating the program. The rulemaking would better align fees with costs.
- The current fee process for the registration program does not equitably distribute fees across all registered sources. This rulemaking would increase fairness.
Ecology’s process for developing a rule includes gathering input from affected stakeholders and the public, and following the steps for rule adoption.