Picture taken by Kim Clark, 2009

Hazardous Waste & Toxics Reduction

Waste Accumulation in Emergencies

Even in emergencies, dangerous wastes must be handled properly.   However, in some situations, Ecology Hazardous Waste Specialists can grant extensions to the rule that requires that dangerous waste be off the premises in 90 or 180 days.  These extensions may be granted on a case-by-case basis.  Hazardous Waste Specialists can also extend permit times for treatment, storage, and disposal facilities. 

There are no exceptions to rules on containers, labeling or manifesting the transport of dangerous waste.  For more on these, see Regulatory Information and Assistance

Contact your local Hazardous Waste Specialist for more information, or for other dangerous-waste questions:

Northwest Region, including Island, King, Kitsap, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, Whatcom Counties

Dave Misko (e-mail) , 425-649-7014

Southwest Region, including Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Pierce, Skamania, Thurston, and Wahkiakum Counties

Nanette Brooks (e-mail), 360-407-6242

Central Region, including Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan, and Yakima Counties

Sam Hunn (e-mail), 509-454-4329

Eastern Region, including Ferry, Stevens, Pend Oreille, Lincoln, Spokane, Grant, Adams, Whitman, Franklin, Walla Walla, Columbia, Garfield, and Asotin Counties

Arianne Fernandez (e-mail), 509-329-3498

Report environmental contamination will allow you to contact Ecology to report problems.