Top Pollution Prevention Tips for the Automotive Repair Shop
The following ideas have been used in automotive repair shops around the
state to prevent pollution.
- Use spray cabinet washers with skimmer and evaporator built in.
- Limit number of spray cans used in shop.
- Use refillable spray canisters for heavily used sprays such as brake cleaner.
- Keep wastes separate; do not mix wastes or cross contaminate with common collection pans.
- Find alternatives to chlorinated cleaners.
- Do not use compressed air to dry parts cleaned in solvent. Let them drip back into the parts washer.
- Keep the parts washer turned off unless actually cleaning parts.
- Label all containers well.
- Spot clean spills immediately. This will cause total floor cleaning to occur less often.
- Be careful with samples; be sure to take only what can be used.
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.htm