Top Tips for Pollution Prevention for Paint Manufacturers
Use inventory control methods that reduce waste.
- Inspect packaging for damage; repair immediately.
- Use "just-in-time" inventory methods.
- Use packaging that can be returned to supplier (e.g., totes).
Reduce equipment clean-out waste.
- Line tanks with non-stick surface to reduce "clingage".
- Purge pipelines before disconnecting when filling tanks.
- Dedicate equipment to specific product lines or colors.
- Use high-pressure wash systems and efficient nozzles.
- Schedule batches to reduce cleanout (e.g., light to dark colors; similar formulations).
- Reuse equipment cleaning wastes as part of batch formulations; distill spent solvent.
- Clean tanks with squeegees before washing.
- Use foam or plastic pigs to clean out lines.
- Use counter-current rinse methods.
- Rinse first with dirty rinsate, then with clean rinsate.
Use quality control methods to reduce off-spec batches.
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.htm