HWTR Education Fee

My Watershed

Hazardous Waste Generation Fee

Payment is due by September 30, 2014

What is the Hazardous Generation Fee?  Answer...

The Hazardous Waste Generation Fee is mandated by the Revised Code of Washington Chapter 70.95E.  The law states that any business that generates any amount of hazardous waste must pay the hazardous waste generation fee billing.  The fee is calculated annually using a specific economic indicator for inflation.  This means that the amount of the fee can fluctuate up or down depending on the inflation.  The fee is currently $48.00. Hide this content.

What is the difference between dangerous waste and hazardous waste? Answer...

For the purpose of the fee, dangerous waste and hazardous waste mean the same thing.  Hazardous waste is a federal term for dangerous waste. Hide this content.

Why was my business billed this fee? Answer...

Ecology included your business in this mailing because your business is assigned a North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) code that typically generates dangerous waste. See your NAICS code on the attached billing invoice.

You must pay the Generation Fee if your business meets the following criteria:

Your business generated dangerous waste in 2013


The value of all your products, gross proceeds of sales, or gross income exceeded $12,000 in 2013


Your business has an active RCRA Site ID number for one of your sites and reported disposing of dangerous waste in 2013.Hide this content.

Can I pay this fee with my credit card or ACH?  Answer...

No, Ecology is unable to receive electronic payments at this time. Only check or money order will be accepted.Hide this content.

What will happen if I ignore this bill? Answer...

If this bill was not paid by June 30, 2014 it began accruing interest charges at a rate of 1% per month. It will continue to do so until paid in full. If the bill continues to be delinquent after a period of time, we are obligated to forward the bill to a collections agency. This will add an additional collection-related cost to settle the account. When this happens, you could be charged up to an additional 50% of the original fee, which equals $24.00, as allowed in RCW19.16.500(1)(b). Interest due will also continue to grow until the fee is paid.Hide this content.

What are some examples of dangerous waste? Answer...

The following are examples only. For an extensive list please refer to the Dangerous Waste Regulations.

  • Sandblasting, waste paints, solvents, parts washer, paint booth filters, thinners, finishes, aerosol cans, or adhesives.
  • Propane, spillage of pumped fuel, used oil, anti-freeze, transmission fluid, coolants, refrigerants, brake fluid, or hydraulic fluid, even if it has been recycled. This includes rags or towels used to clean or wipe up spillage or excess.
  • X-ray, photo processing chemicals, inkjet, toner, screen printing, plate activator & stabilizer.
  • Dental amalgam, even if captured in an amalgam separator.
  • Pharmaceuticals- Prescription or over the counter medication.
  • Pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides, or acids.
  • Waste water from detailing or car washing.
  • Torch down roofing.
  • Solvents and dry cleaning chemicals. This includes the newer hydrocarbon dry cleaning solutions.
  • Acetylene or other gases used in welding.
Hide this content.

What is the Generation Fee used for? Answer...

Funds generated by the Generation Fee help pay for activities such as:

  • Technical assistance information
  • Phone consultations
  • Technical assistance visits

Ecology’s toxics reduction specialists offer technical assistance to anyone requesting help. These experts can explain the Dangerous Waste Regulations and help with pollution prevention and effective waste management. Many businesses working closely with our staff have reduced or eliminated the waste they generate.Hide this content.

Do I have to pay the fee if I don’t generate dangerous waste? Answer...

No, if your business does not generate dangerous waste you do not have to pay this fee. Businesses that do not generate any dangerous waste can apply for a waiver or exemption of the fee depending on their situation.

  • You can apply for a waiver if your business did not generate any dangerous waste in the previous calendar year but will generate dangerous waste in the future. This waiver is good for one year. You will be billed again next year.
  • You can apply for an exemption if your business did not and will not generate any dangerous waste.
    If an exemption is granted, you will not have to pay the fee and you will not be billed again unless your business generates dangerous waste or your Washington State tax registration number changes with the Department of Revenue.
Hide this content.

How do I apply for a waiver or exemption? Answer...

You can apply for the waiver or exemption on line at:
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/hwtr/genfees/waiver.html. We will respond within a few business days by email. Please respond to this billing before the due date.Hide this content.

What if the NAICS code assigned to my business is wrong? Answer...

The NAICS code assigned to your business by the Washington State Department of Revenue appears on the right side of the billing coupon. If you believe this code is wrong, you need to contact them at 1-800-647-7706 to have it changed. If it is changed, you should call us at 1-866-211-2955 to see if your corrected NAICS code is subject to the fee. If you are not subject to the fee you will be asked to apply for an exemption.
You can look up the NAICS code for your business at: http://www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/Hide this content.

What rules and laws govern the Hazardous Waste Generation Fee? Answer...

WAC 173-305 Hazardous Waste Fees regulation (section 110)

WAC 173-303 Dangerous Waste regulations

RCW 70.95E Hazardous Waste Fees (section 040)

RCW 43.17 Administrative Departments and Agencies- General Provisions (section 240)

RCW 19.16 Collection Agencies (section 500(1)(b))
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=19.16.500Hide this content.

Would you like to receive Shoptalk? Answer...

This Ecology publication is full of useful articles for dangerous waste generators. Visit http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/hwtr/shoptalkonline/index.html Hide this content.

What if I cannot find the answer to my question on this website? Answer...

For more assistance call 1-866-211-2955. Your call will be answered by an automated system. Please follow the directions given by the system. Leave a message if asked to do so. Your call will be answered in the order received and as quickly as possible, usually within one business day. Hide this content.