Chapter 173-334 WAC
Children's Safe Products Reporting Rule
Children’s Safe Products – Reporting Rule Chapter 173-334 Washington Administrative Code (WAC) (CSPA Reporting Rule) is authorized by the Children’s Safe Products Act (CSPA) (Chapter
70.240 Revised Code of Washington (RCW)). This rule requires manufacturers to annually report to the Washington Department of Ecology the presence of Chemicals of High Concern to Children (CHCCs) in children’s products offered for sale in Washington. The CSPA Reporting Rule identifies the CHCCs and details the process for manufacturers to report to Ecology.
The amended CSPA law identifies six flame retardants to be considered for inclusion on the CHCCs list in the CSPA Reporting Rule
The 2016 amendment of the CSPA law restricts the presence of five flame retardants in children’s products and residential upholstered furniture after July 2017. Ecology expects to implement restrictions on these five flame retardants without rulemaking. The five restricted flame retardants are on the CHCC list.
Why it matters
Ecology is updating the CSPA Reporting Rule to:
- Update the rule language and CHCC list after five years of rule implementation.
- Evaluate the flame retardants identified in the 2016 amendment (RCW 70.240.035) using the same basic process used in 2011. Evaluate other chemicals recommended by stakeholders to add or remove from the list, again using the same basic process used in 2011.
- Respond to stakeholder comments on the rule language and list of CHCCs.
Scope of rule development
Ecology and the Washington Department of Health evaluated six flame retardants and other chemicals against the CHCC criteria using the same basic process followed during the original rule development in 2011. Ecology consulted stakeholders to identify other chemicals to consider adding to or removing from the CHCC list.
Ecology proposes the following amendments to the CSPA Reporting Rule:
- Add 21 chemicals to the list of CHCCs based on new scientific data;
- Remove 3 chemicals from the list of CHCCs based on revised scientific data;
- Change some grouped CHCCs into individual listings;
- Set a single annual reporting date consistent with reporting in other states;
- Make other minor amendments that include:
- Updating the reporting schedule to remove obsolete phase-in requirements.
- Using the term “de minimis” to refer to existing minimum chemical reporting levels.
- Clarifying that resubmission of identical annual data (copy and paste) is sufficient, instead of a letter to Ecology confirming no changes from the previous annual report.
- Updating chemical names to be consistent with terminology in the product testing database.
The 2016 amendment of the CSPA law restricts the presence of five flame retardants in children’s products and residential upholstered furniture after July 2017. Ecology expects to implement restrictions on these five flame retardants without rulemaking. The five flame retardants are currently on the CHCC list in the rule.
Process of development
Ecology is committed to an open and transparent process where all stakeholders will have many opportunities to express their ideas, opinions, and concerns as the rulemaking process unfolds. Interested parties can participate by:
To learn more about the rulemaking, see:
Children’s Safe Products-Reporting Rule – WAC 173-334
The Department of Ecology is proposing to update WAC 173-334 Children’s Safe Products Reporting Rule. This rule requires manufacturers to report to Ecology if the children’s products they make contain certain chemicals. For information contact Tina Schaefer at 360-407-6786. Interpretation services are available.
Reglamento sobre Informes de Productos Seguros para Niños – WAC 173-334
El Departamento de Ecología está proponiendo la revisión del WAC 173-334, el Reglamento sobre Informes de Productos Seguros para Niños (Children’s Safe Products Reporting Rule). Este reglamento requiere que los fabricantes de productos para niños informan a Ecología si los productos contienen ciertos químicos. Para obtener información favor de contactar a Tina Schaefer al 360-407-6786. Servicio de interpretación disponible.
Điều lệ báo cáo các sản phẩm an toàn của trẻ em - WAC 173-334
Bộ Môi Sinh đang đề nghị cập nhật điều lệ báo cáo sản phẩm an toàn của trẻ em WAC 173-334. Điều lệ này yêu cầu các nhà sản xuất phải báo cáo Bộ Môi Sinh nếu các sản phẩm của trẻ em có chứa một số hóa chất nhất định. Để biết thêm thông tin, xin liên hệ Tina Schaefer tại số 360-407-6786. Có dịch vụ thông dịch.
자녀들이 사용하는 제품에 관한 안전 신고 규정 – WAC 173-334
주환경부에서는 주법 (WAC 173-334) 에서 규정하는 자녀들이 사용하는 제품의 안전여부 신고법을 개정중이다. 이 법은 아동들이 사용하는 제품에 특정물질이 함유되어 있으면, 제조업주는 반드시 환경부로 신고할 의무가 있음을 규정하고있다. 자세한 사항은 Tina Schaefer (360-407-6786) 에게 연락. 관련업무 통역도 가능함.
華盛頓州生態管理署提議更新州政府法律文件(WAC 173-334)有關兒童安全產品的報告規則。 這一規則要求製造商向生態管理署報告， 如果他們製造的兒童產品包含一定的化學品。 如需要更多的信息， 請聯繫 Tina Schaefer 電話 360-407-6786。 生態管理署提供口譯服務。