Columbia Paint Goes Lean and Gets Green
- Washington State Department of Ecology environmental technical assistance experts.
- Impact Washington Lean experts.
- Over 20 employees and managers from Columbia Paint.
- Standardizing product flow and developing a ‘pull’ system for scheduling batches.
- Improving quality-control process, and increasing efficiency in materials handling.
The project scope:
- Lean and Green training.
- Value stream mapping.
- Three kaizen (improvement) events to implement Lean and environmental changes.
- Reductions in product lead time for custom batches, and eliminated white-wash water waste.
- Improved product quality and consistency and customer responsiveness; improved safety and ergonomics.
- Positive culture change, with a very engaged workforce.
Through these Lean and Green improvements implemented from October 2006 to March 2007, Columbia Paint can expect to see cost savings of as much as $139,000 per year.
For more information:
John Blunt, Environmental Engineer, email@example.com, 509-329-3525
Patric Sazama, Project Manager, WMS firstname.lastname@example.org, 509-358-7897