Designation Tool Instructions
Download the tool. One Excel file per waste stream.
- Click on the yellow-highlighted Waste tab in the lower left portion of your Excel window.
- Fill out the name of your waste for record-keeping purposes in the yellow box labeled
Insert Waste Name Here.
- (Optional) If you have Hazardous Materials Information System (HMIS) ratings for your waste, you can fill out the yellow boxes for
Health, Flammability, Reactivity, and
- Answer the questions from top to bottom, typing your answer in the yellow boxes in the
Yes/No column. After you answer one question another will appear.
- If you need to revise a previous answer, delete all answers below the answer you want to change. Then change your answer and continue with your designation.
- Answer questions only 'Yes' or 'No.' If you are unsure of an answer, please contact your
regional designation expert.
- Designations for your waste will appear in the Applicable Waste Codes summary table at the top of the screen.
- When you have completed the designation, the words 'Designation Complete'
will appear above the applicable waste codes table.
- Make a new copy of the Excel document for each waste you want to designate.
- Keep an electronic copy for your records.