Placeholder for snippet from air, land, water, toxics, waste, or other image

My Watershed

  Specific waste: Controlled substances

Reverse Distributor: Both viable and non-viable controlled substances can be sent to a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) licensed reverse distributor. You must ensure that:

  • Any controlled substances that designate as a RCRA hazardous waste are sent to a RCRA permitted incinerator.
  • The remaining controlled substances must be incinerated at a facility meeting the requirements of the conditional exclusion.

RCRA hazardous waste controlled substances:

Manage through a RCRA-permitted facility, following the DEA guidelines for witnessed destruction of the product beyond reclamation.

State-only dangerous waste controlled substances: Manage in accordance with DEA regulations; may be destroyed at combustion facilities as specified in the conditional exclusion.
Sewer agencies do NOT accept dangerous wastes. Do not inject these liquids down the drain or into soiled linens destined for the laundry.  Authorization is required for any process waste to sanitary sewer.  In addition to whether or not something is a dangerous waste, the sewer authority and the Department of Ecology Water Quality Program will also consider how the compounds will affect their treatment system and the microorganisms.