Ecology received more
than 4,000 comments on the draft Hanford Dangerous Waste Permit
during the comment period held from May 1 to October 22, 2012.
This includes about 1,800 comments from the public and 3,000
from the U.S. Department of Energy.
Because information and arguments brought up during the first
comment period raised substantial new questions, Ecology will
reopen the comment period for the permit. We do not have a firm date
set for the second round of public comments. We are
- Reviewing and evaluating each of the thousands of
comments we received.
- Issuing guidance to the U.S. Department of
Energy, so they may re-submit their permit
- Revising the permit based on significant
information and issues that were raised.
Once we complete this work, we expect to:
- Reissue the permit with the revisions
and responses to the original comments received.
- Reopen the comment period for the sections
- Address the next round of public
- Issue the final permit.
Please send questions to
Hanford@ecy.wa.gov or call 509-372-7950