Shoreline Master Program (SMP) Handbook
- Designed to assist local government planners in meeting requirements of
the Shoreline Management Act
(RCW 90.58) and Shoreline Master Program Guidelines (Chapter 173-26
WAC, Part III).
- Builds on existing guidance materials and the collective experience of
Ecology and our local government partners.
- Benefits from a vast body of scientific knowledge acquired since the
first SMPs were adopted in the 1970s.
Handbook Chapters are being developed and published according to the needs of
local government planners. If you need information on a topic not covered in the
Handbook or have suggestions or questions, please contact
your regional planner for
The Handbook falls under the requirements of
RCW 32.05.272 for significant agency actions. The law requires sources of
information to be listed and categorized for each Handbook chapter. There are
two effective dates. Sources of information must be provided in chapters
published after July 28, 2013. For chapters published after July 12, 2014, the
sources must be identified by 11 categories. The law is not retroactive. When
chapter content is updated, sources for the new information will be provided.
Handbook chapters and sections
Handbook topics: to be covered in forthcoming chapters
- General Goals, Policies & Regulations
- Shoreline Use Policies, Regulations &
- Modification Activity Policies, Regulations &
- Administration & Enforcement Provisions
- Restoration Plan
- Local Approval Process
- Ecology’s Formal Review & Approval Process
- Water-Oriented Uses, Waterfront Redevelopment & Mixed-Use Strategies
- Ocean Management
- Shoreline Stabilization
Back to Top
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.html.