Shoreline Master Program (SMP) Handbook
- Designed to assist local government planners in meeting requirements of
the Shoreline Management Act
(RCW 90.58) and Shoreline Master Program Guidelines (WAC 173-26, Part III).
- Builds on existing guidance materials and the collective experience of
Ecology and our local government partners.
- Benefits from a vast body of scientific knowledge acquired since the
first SMPs were adopted in the 1970s.
Given Ecology’s limited staffing, Handbook Chapters and other sections are
being developed and published according to the needs of local government
If you need information on a certain topic and the relevant Handbook section
is not available, please contact your
regional planner for assistance.
Handbook topics: to be covered in forthcoming chapters
- General Goals, Policies & Regulations
- Shoreline Use Policies, Regulations &
- Modification Activity Policies, Regulations &
- Administration & Enforcement Provisions
- Restoration Plan
- Local Approval Process
- Ecology’s Formal Review & Approval Process
- Water-Oriented Uses, Waterfront Redevelopment
& Mixed-Use Strategies Chapter
- Ocean Management
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.html.