Washington Recycles: Electronics

Washington Recycles: Electronics

Which brand names can be sold in or into Washington State? See the Manufacturer Registration List.

Am I a Retailer?

For the purposes of this program, a retailer is a person who offers a new covered electronic product (CEP) for sale at retail through any means. "Retailer" includes not only retail stores, but also remote offerings such as sales outlets, catalogs, or the internet. Retailers do not include persons who engage in wholesale transactions with a distributor or retailer.

What do retailers need to do?
  1. Sell labeled products: As of January 1, 2007, no retailer may sell or offer for sale a CEP to any person in Washington State unless the CEP bears a label with the manufacturer’s brand. The label must be permanently affixed and readily visible.
  2. Sell products from registered manufacturers: To sell or offer for sale a CEP to any person in Washington State, a retailer must ensure that on the date they order the product:
    • The brand name on the CEP is on the Manufacturer Registration List on Ecology’s website.
    • The manufacturer of that brand is in “pending” or “in compliance” status.
    • Each type of CEP (television, computer, laptop, or monitor) being ordered is identified for that brand name. Ecology recommends that retailers print the registered manufacturer list for their records when placing an order for CEPs to verify the manufacturer’s status on the day they place the order.
  3. Public Outreach: Retailers are required to provide take-home printed information about E-Cycle Washington to customers at the point of sale (POS). Internet sellers must include this information in an easily visible location on their website. A Retailer Toolkit, providing POS suggestions, is available. It provides information to help retailers meet obligations under the electronics recycling law and help promote E-Cycle Washington.
Registering as a manufacturer
Some retailers may need to register as manufacturers for the purposes of this program. This may occur if a retailer sells a CEP at retail and:
  • Has legal ownership of the brand, brand name, or cobrand.
  • Acquires the product from an importer who has legal ownership of the brand, brand-name, or cobrand, and elects to register in lieu of the importer as the manufacturer for those products.
Visit the Manufacturer page to learn more about what manufacturers have to do.

Collection services for recycling plans
Retailers are not required to become a collection sight. To do so is voluntary for the retailers. However, retailers that wish to collect covered electronic products for the E-Cycle Washington program may do so. To do this they must register with Ecology. Visit the Collector page to learn more about how to register as a collector.

Registration Lists

(Click on each industry to see who's registered)
- Collectors
- Manufacturers
- Processors
- Transporters

173-900 WAC

Electronic Product Recycling Rule.