UPDATE: Ecology's new website will be live on Monday morning! Our official web address will be https://ecology.wa.gov

Washington Recycles: Electronics

Washington Recycles: Electronics

Am I a Transporter?

A transporter is an entity that transports covered electronic products (CEPs) from collection sites or services to processors or other locations for the purpose of recycling through a recycling plan. “Transporter” does not include any entity or person that hauls his or her own unwanted electronic products.

What do transporters need to do?
In order to be eligible to receive compensation from a CEP recycling plan for transporting CEPs (televisions, computers, laptops, and monitors), transporters must register with Ecology. To be approved to transport CEPs for a plan, a transporter must:
  1. Register annually with Ecology and keep the registration up to date
  2. Meet the performance standards defined in WAC 173-900-550
  3. Be listed as “in compliance” on the Transporter Registration List
Common Carrier
In order to complete your registration with Ecology, you will need to obtain a Common Carrier number from the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission (UTC). Click here for more information and to obtain a Common Carrier number.

Performance standards
When transporting CEPs for a plan, registered transporters must meet the following set of performance standards for their operation and handling of electronic products:
  • Transporters must comply with all applicable environmental and transportation laws, rules, and local ordinances.
  • Transporters must allow access to Ecology for inspections to determine compliance with these standards.
Transporters of other recyclable materials
Entities who transport other types of recyclable materials must register with Ecology under the Solid Waste Management Reduction and Recycling law (RCW 70.95.400). This law is separate from the Electronic Product Recycling law. It defines a transporter of recyclable materials as “anyone who is paid to transport recyclable material from commercial or industrial sources over the public highways of this state, and who is required to have a common carrier’s permit from the Washington Utilities and Transportation Commission to operate.”

A transporter who transports CEPs for a recycling plan and also transports other recyclable materials can meet registration requirements for both laws by using the same registration form. Click here to learn more or to register as a transporter of recyclable materials.

Click here to register

New Users
Returning Users

Registration Lists

(Click on each industry to see who's registered)
- Collectors
- Manufacturers
- Processors
- Transporters

173-900 WAC

Electronic Product Recycling Rule.