Welcome to the Washington Department of Ecology's green building website!
Among its many benefits such as energy savings, increased comfort, health and productivity, and
stronger resale value, green or sustainable building has been identified as one of the ways to
significantly reduce waste and the use of toxic substances wherever practiced. Washington's
Beyond Waste Plan
has clear and similar objectives; hence, our
long-term goal for green building is to become the mainstream practice statewide.
Please use the left sidebar to navigate between the following sections:
- Green Building Basics - Components of a green building, the
integrated process it takes to create superior projects and the green building organizations active in
- Certification and Regulations - Green building
project and product certification programs; Washington State Law on High Performance Buildings.
- Case Studies - Links to case study databases; Ecology's LEED® EB Silver
- Homeowner Resources - Homeowner incentives; brochures on
elements of a green remodel.
- Builder Resources - Educational resources, incentives for builders, and
- Alternatives to Waste - How to avoid or reuse excess generated by
construction, demolition, and remodel projects.
- Ecology Assistance - Related Ecology services, assistance to citizens, the
business sector and local governments: building materials technical assistance, grants, and environmentally preferred
If you have further questions or would like to share your green building experience, especially with efficient use
or reuse of building materials,