Mercury-Containing Lights Product Stewardship Program
Chapter 173-910, WAC
- The Department of Ecology adopted Mercury-Containing Lights Product Stewardship Program on November 16, 2012.
The rule became effective on December 17, 2012.
- You can find documentation related to this rule amendment process on our
Laws and Rules pages.
- Sign up for our ListServ to
receive information about the mercury-containing lights product stewardship program.
Overview of Rule Amendment
State law requires producers of mercury-containing lights to establish a product stewardship program for residential lighting.
The Mercury-Containing Lights Product Stewardship Program rule clarifies:
- Responsibilities of producers, wholesalers, retailers, distributors, and electric utilities to safely manage
mercury-containing lights sold in or into Washington State.
- Program requirements, such as developing a product stewardship plan, outreach and education efforts, and annual
- Requirements for collecting, transporting, processing and recycling mercury-containing lights.
- How producers will fully fund the product stewardship program.
- Other requirements necessary to implement the program such as definitions and enforcement.
Enforcement of this rule is on hold pending the outcome of the lawsuit filed by the National Electronic Manufacturers Association.
Milestones & Timeline
|WAC 173-910, Mercury-Containing Lights Product Stewardship Program
|CR-101 Filed: PREPROPOSAL STATEMENT OF INQUIRY
||October 21, 2011
|Public Meeting #1
||November 14, 2011
|Informal Comment Period
||Feb 27 - Mar 9, 2012
|CR-102 Filed: PROPOSED RULE MAKING
||July 27, 2012
|Public Hearing: Bellevue, WA 1:00 PM
||August 7, 2012
|Close of Formal Comment Period
||August 14, 2012
|CR-103 Filed: RULE-MAKING ORDER
||November 16, 2012
|Effective Date of Rule
||December 17, 2012
Rule: WAC 173-910
Law: RCW 70.275
Dept of Ecology
PO Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.htm