Moderate Risk Waste photo identifier


Is there a more explicit list of what wastes are household-hazardous wastes (HHW)? *

Yes. Under Chapter 70.105 RCW Ecology is required to prepare guidelines that include a list of substances identified as hazardous household substances. This list is contained in Appendix F of the Guidelines for Development and Updating Local Hazardous Waste Plans, publication #10-07-006.

Hazardous household substances that become wastes are commonly called household hazardous waste (HHW). There are seven groups of these hazardous substances listed in the local hazardous waste plan guidelines. The seven groups and substances in each group are as follows:

  1. Repair and Remodeling: adhesives, glues, cements, roof coatings, sealants, caulkings, epoxy resins, solvent based paints, solvents and thinners, and paint removers and strippers.
  2. Cleaning Agents: oven cleaners; degreasers and spot removers; toilet, drain and septic cleaners; polishes, waxes and strippers; deck, patio, and chimney cleaners; and solvent cleaning fluid.
  3. Pesticides: insecticides, fungicides, rodenticides, molluscicides, wood preservatives, moss retardants, herbicides, and fertilizers (which include pesticides).
  4. Auto, Boat and Equipment Maintenance: batteries; waxes and cleaners; paints, solvents, and cleaners; additives; gasoline; flushes; auto repair materials; and motor oil, diesel oil, and antifreeze.
  5. Hobby and Recreation: paints, thinners and solvents; chemicals (including photo and pool); glues and cements; inks and dyes; glazes; chemistry sets; pressurized bottled gas; white gas; charcoal lighter fluid; and batteries.
  6. Persistent Bioaccumulative Toxins (PBT's): cfl's and fluorescent tubes, auto switches, thermometers, barometers, thermostats, button cell batteries, lead (batteries, fishing weights, art supplies, etc.), PBDE's (televisions, computers, etc), PAH's (pavement sealers, etc.), and PCB's (light ballasts, etc.)
  7. Miscellaneous: ammunition, asbestos, fireworks, marine aerial flares, pharmaceuticals, sharps, personal care products, and non-controlled substances.

Local governments can add additional substances to this list for any household products which may pose a public health or environmental risk.

* Note: The answers provided to Frequently Asked Questions are guidance for implementing WAC 173-350-360. Following this guidance is not a requirement of operation or design for MRW facilities, as facilities may meet regulatory requirements through other means. Local Health Departments should be consulted to determine what will be sufficient to meet the regulatory standards.