Final 2008 Submittal
The 2008 list is available for informational and
reference use only.
Use the most recent 303(d) list to be
approved by EPA for the
purposes of writing discharge permits, watershed characterization, financial
assistance funding, TMDL prioritization, and TMDL implementation.
The Environmental Protection
approved the 2008 Water Quality Assessment 305(b) report and
303(d) list on January 29, 2009.
The 2008 listing cycle satisfied
the EPA’s requirements for both the 2006 and 2008 assessment periods.
Category 5 represented the state’s 303(d) list of impaired waters.
2008 Water Quality Process and Policy 1-11 for Listing
The 2008 water quality assessment and 303(d) list was based on
the most recent state water quality standards approved by EPA
(Chapter 175-201A WAC, 2006 version and Chapter 173-204 WAC) and the
state’s assessment policies:
- Program Policy 1-11, Chapter 1, Assessment of Water
Quality for the Clean Water Act Sections 303(d) and 305(b)
- Program Policy 1-11, Chapter 2, Ensuring Credible
Data for Water Quality Management.
Call for Data (Sept. – Nov. 2006):
- A call for data was sent out to encourage members of the public to provide water quality data.
Data Compilation and Assessment (January 2007 – February 2008):
- Data used in the 2008 Water Quality Assessment were selected according to
methods outlined in Policy 1-11.
- Assessed water bodies were placed into one of five categories.
- A list of studies used in this assessment allows viewers to review each
complete study in the EIM database.
Public Review (February 5 - March 21, 2008 and April 16 – April 30, 2008):
- Public review periods were held for the candidate Water Quality Assessment.
- Public workshops were held in Lacey, Yakima, Spokane, and Bellevue.
- The public comment responsiveness summary
shows each comment submitted during the comment periods and Ecology’s response to each comment. The
summary is categorized in order of the commenter’s last name.
Submittal to EPA (June 23, 2008):
- The Department of Ecology formally submitted the 2008 Water Quality
Assessment list to the EPA on June 23, 2008.
- As part of the submittal, Ecology is required to submit a schedule and
prioritization for the establishment of TMDLS for waters listed in Category 5.
EPA Approval (January 29, 2009):
- The 2008 Water Quality Assessment was approved on January 29, 2009.
If you have questions or need specific information on the 2008
assessment, please contact:
Water Quality Program
WA Department of Ecology
P.O. Box 47600
Olympia, WA 98504-7600
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.htm