Revisions to Water Quality Policy 1-11: July 2012
The Department of Ecology (Ecology) conducted a public review of proposed
revisions to Chapter 1 of Water Quality Policy 1-11 “Assessment of Water Quality
for the Clean Water Act Section 303(d) and 305(b) Integrated Report” from July 6
through September 1, 2011. This revised policy will guide our assessment of
rivers, streams, and lakes across the state as we prepare the 2012 Fresh Water
Assessment and candidate 303(d) list for submittal to the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA). The final revised Policy 1-11 and responsiveness
summary of comments received can be found at:
Summary of Proposed Revisions to WQ Policy 1-11
- Minor edits throughout the document for clarity, readability, and to
correct errors or inaccuracies from the last version of the policy.
- Clarifications made to the descriptions for the five assessment
- Clarifications of assessment information and specific data requirements
for several pollutant parameters, including:
- Specific details in the bacteria section on how Beach Environmental
Assessment, Communication, and Health (BEACH) Program monitoring data
for Enterococcus spp is used for listing purposes.
- Changes in the bioassessment section to notify data submitters that
after the 2012 Assessment, all biological data that is used in the
Assessment must be collected using the protocols outlined in Ecology‘s
Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for collecting freshwater macro
- Modifications to the pH section to more closely resemble
requirements for other conventional parameters.
- Several clarifications to the toxics criteria section, including new
descriptions for arsenic and endosulfans.
- A new section has been added on “Assessment of Water-body Segments within
a TMDL”, describing when it is appropriate to move water-body segment
listings in and out of Category 4a (Has an Approved TMDL).
To learn more about the water quality assessment process, please visit
For information or questions, please contact:
Water Quality Program
WA Dept. of Ecology
Back to Water Quality Policy 1-11
Last updated July 2012
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.htm