Registration Requirements

Online registration is now available for your injection wells

UIC Registration Requirements | Wellhead Protection Area | To Change the Status of a UIC Well | To Register a UIC Well


All UIC wells need to be registered once, except wells receiving residential roof runoff from a single family home or to control basement flooding at single family homes (includes duplexes). Registration is free.

The Washington Department of Ecology has regulatory authority over the UIC Program for Washington State except for UIC wells located on tribal land. UIC wells on tribal land are regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency, Region 10. [See Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 173-218-070(1)(d) for definition of tribal land.]

The majority of the UIC wells in WA are rule authorized, which means the UIC well does not need a permit. To be rule-authorized, a UIC well must meet two requirements:

Registration fulfills the inventory requirement.

Registration Timelines for New and Existing UIC wells used to Manage Stormwater

New Wells

If the well is built after February 3, 2006 it is considered a newwell and must be registered prior to use. See the Guidance for UIC Wells that Manage Stormwater for design requirements for stormwater management wells.

Existing Wells

UIC wells used to manage stormwater that were in use on February 3, 2006 are considered existing wells under the UIC regulation that was adopted on January 3, 2006. See the Well Assessment Information and Timelines page for assessment requirements.

In 2006 Chapter 173-218-090(2) WAC established registration deadlines for UIC wells not yet rule authorized:

Because these deadlines have passed, you must register your well as soon as possible. Contact the UIC coordinator for more information.

For existing Class V UIC wells that are not used for stormwater management [see WAC Chapter 173-218-090(3)(b) and (c)], if the well is not registered the owner must register it as soon as possible, and the UIC well must meet the requirements for a new well.

Registration is free, but requires completing a registration form. This information is entered into the UIC inventory.

Floor drain injection well.  Photo courtesy of EPA, Region 10.

UIC wells in a Source Water Protection Area (Wellhead Protection Area) or Critical Aquifer Recharge Area

Registration is especially important if the well is located in a source water protection area (wellhead protection area), critical aquifer recharge area (CARA), or a sole source aquifer protection area. Ground water protection areas are designed to prevent contamination of ground water used for drinking water. If a local government has a ground water protection area ordinance (CARA), ordinance requirements must be met for rule authorization (see WAC Chapter 173-218-090). Contact your local government health or drinking water agency for information on ordinances.

Washington Department of Health (DOH) has an on-line tool that displays the established well head protection areas in each county. Visit to see where the well head areas are located in your county. (You must register to use the tool. There is no charge to register.)

Back to top of page


To Register an Injection Well

Online registration is now available for your injection wells.

After the well is registered you can view the approval status of your well (rule-authorized or pending decision). If information on your registration needs to be changed please contact the UIC coordinator.

Commercial businesses that store products or raw material outside or perform business functions outside (such as, vehicle wash and maintenance, sell or rent equipment/vehicles) have to complete the Industrial Commercial Registration form.

The Non municipal form is for UIC wells in residential areas, customer parking lots, and stormwater wells not owned by a municipality.

If a UIC well is located on tribal land then visit the EPA Region 10 website and download the form.

Back to top of page

To Update the Status of an Injection Well

The site owner (or designee) is responsible for keeping Ecology informed of the status of the well, e.g. active, closed, change in ownership or change in use, among others.


Contact us for more information

Back to top of page

Last updated January 2017