Underground Injection Control Program
Recommendations for Injection Well Closure
- Stop using the well for disposal of fluids. Immediately install a temporary plug in the
surface opening of the well so it can not be used while waste in the system is evaluated.
Register the well as temporarily abandoned with
Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program, c/o UIC
Coordinator, WA Department of Ecology, PO Box 47600, Olympia, WA 98504-7600.
- Characterize and/or test all liquids, sludge and solids in the disposal system for
Dangerous Waste Characteristics following the state Dangerous Waste Regulations (Chapter 173-303 WAC) and
dispose of appropriately per your findings.
- Assess the well for hazardous waste contamination using the results of the disposal
system characterization. Sample and test as necessary.
- If contamination is found, investigate, clean up and close the site as an Ecology
Supervised Remedial Action or Independent Remedial Action (Chapter 173-340 WAC). Abandon
the well following the site cleanup plan. For independent cleanup actions, develop a well
abandonment plan and submit it to the UIC program for approval prior to well abandonment.
- Plug existing drains, or reroute discharges to a holding tank or approved sewer
- Plug and abandon the well if contamination is not found. Plugging should use a surface
seal to prevent contamination of deeper aquifers and seals on all other aquitards
(impervious zones) to prevent cross aquifer contamination. Drilled wells should follow
well abandonment procedures in the Minimum Standards for Construction and Maintenance of
Wells (Chapter 173-160 WAC).
Dug wells should use good engineering practices that meet the surface seal requirement and
future use requirements for the site. Pre-approval of non-contaminated wells is not
required, but advice will given if you request it.
- Send a notice of permanent abandonment to the UIC Program.
Call Mary Shaleen Hansen, WA Department of
Ecology, UIC Coordinator at 360.407.6143 or your regional Department of Ecology office
if you have any questions.
Back to UIC Registration Information page
Back to top of page
Last updated February 2013
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.htm