How to reapply for the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System and State Waste Discharge General Permit for Boatyards

Reapply for Boatyard General Permit coverage using our new online application. Access the application through Washington’s secure gateway to many government services, SecureAccess Washington.

Note: If you have someone prepare the application for you who does not have the legal authority for your organization, they will need to print the paper certification page for the legal responsible party to sign (see the last bullet in step 6). The online application system does not have the preparer / signer ability like the online discharge monitoring reporting system.

  1. Sign up for a SecureAccess Washington (SAW) account

(If you already have a SAW account, go to Step 2.)
(If you already have an approved account in the Portal, go to Step 3.)

  • Complete the six-part sign-up sequence by creating a new account.
  • Enter your information including your name and email address.
  • You will receive an email confirmation. Click the link in the email.

  1. Add service for WQWebPortal
  • Login to your SecureAccess Washington Account.
  • Under “Add a new Service,” click on “Department of Ecology”.
  • Look for “Water Quality Permitting Portal (WQWebPortal)” and click “Apply” in the left column.

  1. Go to WQWebPortal

Under the My Services tab

  • Click the Water Quality Permitting Portal (WQWebPortal).
  • Click the “Permit Coverage-Notice of Intent (NOI)” link on the portal home page.
  • If you are starting to renew for the first time, click on “Renew” for a Boatyard General Permit.
  • If you are completing an existing electronic application, click on “Search my existing Notice of Intent (NOI) applications”.
  • If you do not plan to renew select “Not Renewing” and go to Step 5.

  1. Fill out the entire application. At the bottom of every page is a HELP link to assist with questions.
  1. Not Renewing

If you are not renewing your permit coverage, please select “Not Renewing”. Enter the permit number, select one of the following reasons for not renewing, and click “Load”.

  • Submitted Transfer of Coverage
  • Submitted Notice of Termination (NOT)
  • Plan to terminate permit coverage prior to June 1, 2016

  1. Sign your application

  • If you already have a signature on file, but cannot access the electronic signature box, please contact WQWebPortal staff.
  • Using the option “Print and Sign” for your signature. Print the form, have the person in your organization with legal authority sign it, and mail it to the address on the signature page.
  • To print a complete copy of the renewal application, click on “Complete Application”. On the “NOI Renewal Application – Sign NOI” screen select “Review NOI” to generate a copy of your renewal application. Export this as a pdf and print for signature.


Questions? For questions regarding your SAW account, or technical issues regarding the electronic process, contact the WQWebPortal staff at, or 800-633-6193/option 3, or 360-407-7097 (Olympia Area).

For other questions, contact your Permit Manager listed below.

If your construction site is located in: Contact the following staff:
San Juan, Skagit, and Whatcom Counties Kurt Baumgarten
Bellingham Field Office
Island, King, Kitsap, and Snohomish Counties Greg Stegman
Northwest Regional Office
Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Lewis, Pacific, Skamania, and Wahkiakum Counties Kevin Hancock
Southwest Regional Office
Mason, Pierce, and Thurston Counties Paul Stasch
Southwest Regional Office

Return to Boatyard General Permit Page