High Turbidity

Regional Contacts

-OR- click on a region to go to the Online Reporting Form:

Ecology's Regions Ecology Headquarters in Lacey, WA. Eastern region includes Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Franklin, Garfield, Grant, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman counties. Central region includes Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan, and Yakima counties. Southwest region includes Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Jefferson, Mason, Lewis, Pacific, Pierce, Skamania, Thurston, and Wahkiakum counties. Northwest region includes Island, King, Kitsap, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, and Whatcom counties.
Report turbidity 250 NTUs or greater or transparency 6 cm or less to the applicable Ecology Regions Environmental Report Tracking System (ERTS) by telephone or submit an electronic ERTS report within 24 hours of occurrence. If you get a high result, call your Ecology regional office or submit an electronic ERTS.
  1. Telephone the applicable Regional ERTS number or submit an electronic ERTS report;
  2. Review the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) for compliance with the Construction Stormwater General Permit (CSWGP) Special Condition S9;
  3. Immediately begin process to fully implement and maintain appropriate source control and/or treatment Best Management Practices (BMPs) as soon as possible, addressing the problems within 10 days of the date the discharge exceeded the benchmark (above 250 NTUs/6 cm or less);
  4. Document BMP implementation and maintenance in the site log book;
  5. Continue to sample discharges daily until:

Phone Reporting

Please state, "I'm reporting a high turbidity construction stormwater discharge of (your sample result) NTUs." Include the following information:

  1. Your Name / Phone Number
  2. Permit Number
  3. City / County of Project
  4. Date / Time of Incident
  5. Date / Time of Sample
  6. Project Name