Secondary Permittees

The municipal stormwater permits generally cover cities and counties. However, there are other public entities (such as ports, prison complexes, parks and recreation districts, universities, or diking and drainage districts) that own or operate a stormwater sewer system located in a Phase I or Phase II city or county. These stormwater sewer systems are also known as municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4). A public entity with an MS4 may be required to obtain a secondary municipal stormwater permit.

How do I determine if my district or facility needs a NPDES MS4 permit?

How do I apply for a NPDES MS4 permit?

There are three basic steps:

  1. Complete the Notice of Intent (NOI). This is Appendix 5 of the permit. It contains the forms, instructions and sample public notice information. This form is for all entities seeking coverage under municipal stormwater permits.
  2. Send the completed NOI to:
    Department of Ecology
    Water Quality Program
    Municipal Stormwater Permits
    P.O. Box 47696
    Olympia, WA 98504-7696
  3. Publish a notice at least once a week, for two consecutive weeks, in a single newspaper of general circulation in the county or city in which your district is located.

What do I do if I do not believe my district needs the NPDES MS4 permit?

If, upon reviewing the permit language, you determine that your MS4 does not require a permit from Ecology, then you do not need to take further action. If you are unsure, you should contact the regional MS4 Permit Manager.

Additional Resources

Contact us for more information.