How do I determine if my district or facility needs a permit?

The following questions will help you to determine whether your facility or district needs a permit.

  1. Is the district or facility a public entity?
    Secondary permittees must be a public entity such as a sewer district, flood control district, port, public university or college, prison complex, drainage district, or parks and recreation district.
  2. Does the facility or district own or operate a municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4)?
    A municipal separate storm sewer system is a conveyance, or system of conveyances, that includes roads with drainage systems, municipal streets, catch basins, curbs, gutters, ditches, man-made channels, or storm drains that is:
    Storm sewers in very discrete areas, such as individual buildings, do not require permit coverage.
  3. Is the district or facility located in an area covered by the permits?
    The permit requirements apply to limited geographic areas in Washington. The permits cover the following geographic area(s):
  4. Can I get a waiver?
    You may be eligible for a waiver from the permit requirement if your municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4):
    1. is located in a Phase II jurisdiction and
    2. serves fewer than 1,000 people, including both resident and transient/commuter populations.
    This waiver does not apply to districts or facilities located entirely or partially in Phase I jurisdictions: Snohomish, King, Pierce and Clark Counties and the Cities of Tacoma and Seattle.
  5. Who can I contact about my district/facility?
    Please see the Contact Information page to find out who to talk to about your district/facility. Also, see EPA's Fact Sheets on Phase II coverage:


Back to the top of the page