- Amendments to the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) will
occur every three years starting in 2012. A request for proposed
amendments will be posted on the Port of Seattle and Department
of Ecology websites at the beginning of November of the year
preceding the amendment adoption (e.g., in the beginning of
November 2011 for 2012 adoption). All proposed amendments must
be submitted within 21 calendar days of the posting.
A 45-day review period will follow for all of the MOU signatories to review
and validate the proposed amendments (around mid January). This period is longer
to account for the holiday period, if the timing is different, review periods
may be adjusted accordingly.
Amendments that meet the following criteria identified will be then posted for a
30-day public comment period (around mid February).
At the end of the comment period, MOU signatories will review the comments
and meet to decide which, if any, of the proposed amendments should be adopted.
Criteria for Proposed Amendments
All proposed amendments meeting the following criteria will be advanced for
further review and comment:
- In order to be considered, proposed amendments must be
submitted within three weeks of the posted request for proposed
- Proposed amendments should include only cruise ship activity
within the boundaries of the MOU.
- The MOU, as amended, should not duplicate or replace
existing regulations that govern cruise ships, however they may
be more stringent.
- Proposed amendments must receive the sponsorship of one of
the MOU signatories. (Note: sponsorship does not
necessarily mean that the signatory will support adoption of the
- If none of the signatories support a proposed amendment, it
will not be reviewed or considered for adoption.
- Proposed amendments must include:
- The basis for the amendment (e.g., what
environmental concern it addresses).
- How the amendment is applicable to or
compatible with the MOU.
- The anticipated benefits of the amendment.
- Potential impacts of the amendment.
- Include scientific data that supports the
proposed amendment as applicable.
- In order for an amendment to be adopted, it must receive
unanimous approval from the MOU signatories.
The only exception to this amendment process is an amendment proposed by one
of the signatories and supported unanimously by the other two signatories.
Need to Report a Spill or MOU
Immediately Report MOU Non-Compliance to the Department of Ecology at:
Immediately Report “upset of disinfection" to Department of Health at:
(8 am-5 pm)
Information for reporting oil or other spills
Map of Waters
Subject to MOU
Department of Ecology
Water Quality Program
3190 160th Ave. SE
Bellevue, WA 98008