Meter Types, Technical Requirements, Vendors and Installers

Pressurized Systems

The term “pressurized” refers to any conduit in which liquid flows through a pipe. Water is typically (but not always) pumped directly into a pipe in a closed and pressurized system.

Examples of Pressurized Pipe Measuring Devices:

Mechanical – Propeller, Positive Displacement, or Turbine
Electronic - Electromagnetic (i.e. insertion or full pipe), Ultrasonic, or Vortex

For specifics for all the requirements for meters for pressurized systems, see:

Open Channel Systems

The term “open channel” refers to any conduit in which liquid flows with a free surface, generally called canals or irrigation ditches.

Examples of Open Channel Measuring Devices:

Weirs - Sharp Crested (V-Notch, Rectangular, or Cipoletti)
- Long-Throated or Parshall
Submerged Orifice
Electronic Methods
- Doppler, Electromagnetic, Anemometer and propeller velocity, Optical Strobe

For specifics for all the requirements for meters for open channel systems, see::

Meter Vendors and Installers

Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 173-173 lays out the requirements for meter installations. The person who is in charge of measuring the diversion (the responsible party) is responsible for ensuring an approved measuring device is installed or constructed in accordance with the manufacturer’s and/or designer’s specifications. This applies to both pressurized systems and open channel flows.

If you are unsure of the manufacturer’s specifications, you may consider hiring a professional vendor within your service area to install your meter.

Examples of professional services that may sell or perform meter installations include (but are not limited to):