Laws and Rules
Water Right Fee Estimator
Most water right applications require the payment of a fee at the time
application is made to the department. Use the estimator below to
determine the estimated fee which will be required at time of application.
The payment is nonrefundable.
These processing fees do not include other costs that may be incurred by a water right applicant. Other costs may include expenses associated with application preparation, data collection and
legal and professional representation, or as part of a cost reimbursement agreement.
If you file an application, send ONLY the statutory $50 non-refundable processing fee with your completed application.
If you send more money, and amount is incorrect, the money is non-refundable.
You will be contacted for the additional amount.
The schedule of fees is summarized from
- The fee to appropriate new water is assessed at the rate of $1 per one
hundredth cubic foot per second (cfs), with a minimum fee of $50 and a
maximum fee of $25,000.
- The fee to store water is assessed at a rate of $2.00 for each acre foot
of water, with a minimum fee of $50 and a maximum fee of $25,000.
- The fee to change, transfer or amend an existing water right
certificate, permit, or claim is $0.50 per one hundredth cfs, with a minimum
fee of $50 and a maximum fee of $12,500.
- A fee of $1.00 for each acre foot of water must be paid to change an
existing storage right. There is a minimum fee of $50.00 and a maximum fee
(For purposes of calculating fees for groundwater filings, one cubic foot per
second is equivalent to four hundred fifty gallons per minute).
Exemptions from fees
No fees are required for:
- Water right change applications for donating a trust water right to the
- An application to process a change associated with the acquisition of a trust water right for instream flows or other public purposes.
- Applications for emergency withdrawal authorizations or for temporary drought-related water right change requests that Ecology receives in an area
where a drought emergency is in effect.
- Water right acquisition, storage, or change requests filed by a party under a cost-reimbursement agreement entered into under state law (RCW
Water Right Application Fee Estimator
Copyright © Washington State Department of Ecology. See http://www.ecy.wa.gov/copyright.htm