About the TREE Team
The Technical Resources for Engineering Efficiency (TREE) team consists of Ecology scientists and engineers with expertise in industrial processes and pollution prevention. The TREE team provides a free service to Washington businesses and organizations. Through research, process modeling, bench-marking best practices, and engineering analysis, the team demonstrates to clients the potential cost savings of reducing resource use and waste. The team then encourages clients to implement these pollution prevention opportunities. The TREE team documents the opportunities and potential benefits in a report, which they present to the client. Unlike other Ecology technical assistance, the TREE team’s projects often include a detailed cost analysis of process changes that could improve a client’s operations, not necessarily related to any environmental regulations.
Our mission is to assist Washington businesses and organizations by using engineering and process analysis to reduce their resource use, waste, costs, and regulatory overhead while maintaining and, if possible, improving the quality of their products. Our purpose is to serve the public interest through increased environmental benefits.
Our vision is for Washington businesses and organizations to embrace sustainability through resource conservation, waste minimization, environmental protection, and energy efficiency.
- Annually complete at least three successful projects with quantified opportunities. TREE defines a successful project as a positive review from the customer, savings from recommended opportunities greater than total value of TREE hours spent on project, AND one or more of the following:
- The organization implements at least one of the recommendations
- The company is able to meet applicable regulatory requirements
- Undertake other technical assistance or outreach projects that fulfill TREE’s mission.
- Provide a non-threatening, non-regulatory atmosphere to foster openness
- Work collaboratively with clients
- Use sound engineering and science to reduce environmental impact and save clients’ money or to help clients meet regulatory requirements
- Demonstrate the value of reducing resource use and waste generation
- Work collaboratively with other agencies
- Share our experience with the rest of Ecology
- Provide confidentiality, where possible, to clients that request it