TREE Team has completed 14 projects for companies in the food processing industry.
Potential annual savings for just these projects include:
Over $2,000,000 in reduced operating costs
198,900,000 gallons of water reduced
1,156,000 therms reduced
195 tons of solid waste reduced
"TREE's assistance benefited us with out of the box thinking. It is sometimes
difficult to see the obvious in a day to day operation. New sets of eyes are
helpful in identifying doable solutions to waste."
These are issues that the TREE Team has seen at multiple companies. The team can help you identify and correct these issues along with others, specific to your site.
- Inventory your water use. Read and record your master meter at the
beginning of each shift for a week to begin to understand basic use
- Check the amount of water used for cleaning. This is often greater than expected.
- Change any single pass water use to recycled water. Cooling towers and
compressors are common single pass pieces of equipment.
See the team's quick tips for cooling towers.
- Manage Waste Food. Preventing food products from falling onto the floor increases production and minimizes waste. Collect the food that does make it to the floor and to send it out for composting, rather than washing it down the drain.
- Segregate incompatible chemicals. This includes products and cleaning chemicals. Use containment to prevent chemical spills from being released to the environment or treatment system.
- Recycle solid waste. Including cardboard/paper, plastic film, pallets and metal.